- Single proprietorship firm
- Partnership firm
- Limited company
- Large-scale consulting company
- Very large offices
- Builders and developers.
1. Single proprietorship firm
The principal will be solely responsible for:
─ all the decisions for running the offices,
─ bringing in projects ensures preparations,
─ progress and completion of the project.
- This type of firm is suitable for small and medium-size projects.
- For large-size projects, the principal has to have a reliable team for execution.
─One can enjoy freedom in design and management §
─Take fast decisions
─Rectify the mistake and execute project quality
─to bear all lose
─take up the blame for mistakes
liabilities for action, for lack of discharging his duties and supervision
2. Partnership firm
- Two or more partners can establish the firm through a legal agreement
─The agreement states the duties and responsibilities of partners & sharing of profit.
─Partners can be architects, structural engineers, electrical engineers, sanitary engineers, or management specialists.
─Partnership is useful in sharing spaces, infrastructure, tax benefits, create a better image to attract larger projects.
─Sharing the responsibilities
─Ability to organize large organizations of employees
─Can take greater risk
─Can operate from multiple locations
─Can offer more service under one roof
─Slowing in taking decisions /there are more members to make decisions
─Communication gap among the workers or employees
─Quality of work can suffer due to differences in opinions/ ideas
─ Problem due to mismanagement
3. Limited company
- The company will have a board of directors
- The Board of directors can be both technical and non-technical
─Can offer multiple services, can have multiple offices and specialization
─Responsibilities are shared
─Directors will be collectively responsible for mistakes
─Young architects can reach the higher positions of responsibilities
─Handel large scale projects
─Individual responsibility can be less
─Decisions making can be slow
─Lower level of involvement
─Quality can suffer
─Many levels of decision making can be involved
─Creativity is affected due to a lack of appreciation
─Experimentation is difficult.
─This type of organization will be rigid
4. Large-scale consulting company
- Consulting corporations which take up turnkey projects (projects that can be sold to a buyer as a complete product).
- Providing all types of services needed for the project.
- They operate globally.
- Capable of taking on large-scale projects due to their access to the best available technology and human resources. Ex: townships, high raised buildings, recreation complexes
- The survival depends on their level of efficiency
- Investment is heavy
5. Very large offices
- They have corporate status in the organization.
- They focus on separate specializations and offer services in the specialized area like:
─structural design, etc.
- Separate units/departments are formed within the firm for each of the specializations.
- Subordinate firms can also be formed so that they can take up outside projects too, this method is used to save income tax.
can reach transnational so that the firm has multiple offices all around the globe.
- The target of the projects needs to be done in a limited time
- Not a type of organization
- Operates as a consultancy to other architects and several offices simultaneous from his own premises (home)
─Can work at his/her own pace
─Large scope or freedom in creativity
─Risks are low and losses can be minimized
─Can choose and select projects of their own interest
─High level of expertise is needed
─Should maintain good quality work
─If the person got any illness in health it will be a problem to deliver the project on the scheduled time
7. Builders and developers.
- It’s strictly not architectural practice and it is not classified so by the profession.
- This type of practice is not recognized or encouraged, in some cases, such practice is prohibited